Welcome to the beginning of Moon Talk Designs, LLC!

I was asked to share the trials and tribulations of starting a business from the beginning! On a shoe string budget! And on a wing and a prayer! These are my thoughts, right or wrong, as we grow. We hope you will continue to watch us and our growth. And we hope IF you are starting your own business, you will avoid some of the mistakes we make! If you avoid even one simple wrong turn, this was worth my time and effort putting this together!
Enjoy the ride....
.......to the moon!!

7/30/11

LLC, Inc, CEO, IRS, IRA, M-O-U-S-E…


Let’s take a step backward…  Before the launch, a lot of other decisions had to be made!  I had something really cool here. I plan on doing something with it, I KNEW that… but HOW do I go about it, LEGALLY  and protect my ASSet’s…. 

Well to start with, I looked at our circle of friends. An old and dear friend of ours was an attorney, Mark. Another was our tax and business advisor, Brett. Another very good friend was our bank manager, Debbie then there is Steve ( more about him later!) !  We had all those bases covered.  Now we just needed to talk to all of them, get their advise and diligently follow it. They were ALL very successful business people and would steer me in the right direction. I had no doubt! ...

First came Brett, he suggested the LLC. He wanted a nice clean package so if there were ever an offer of buy out, it would be a simple process. Plus, it is much easier for taxes and bookkeeping, DUH! That was all I needed to hear!  He advised on TM’s  (Trademarks) Copyrights and other ways to protect my designs.

Then came Mark, he handled the legal suggestions, website info where to look for forms to file for the LLC, Trademarks, Copyrights etc. What would have cost well over $2-3,000 having an attorney do all the paperwork for me cost me a mere $85 filing online! Thank you Mark for the money saving information!!  You are a life saver!!

Then Debbie! She advised about business accounts, loans, keeping money separate, credit cards… banking online… etc!  She has been there for me over the years. Through thick and thin.. I know I can trust her with my business finances! 


When it came to a really needing advise on getting creative, there is no other than my dearest and oldest friend Steve! He is a very talented musician-artist-entertainer... all wrapped into one delightful package! Steve re-wrote all the songs for my website ... Moon River, Dancin' in the Moon Light, Moon Light Sonata etc!!  THey are put to a delightful slide show that I use for any events that MTD has!   Steve is still my go-to guy when I have a question or get stuck on an idea. He is always there for me!

The good thing about these friends, they ALL BELIEVE IN ME and in Moon Talk! 

SO… we DID go with an LLC… with Bob and I as the board of directors. We have our monthly meetings. Our name is Trademarked and all our designs are Copyright protected. We have registered our name along with several others that could be used by others to ‘sound like’ Moon Talk…. We have purchased several domains to protect them as well.  We are doing all we can to protect our designs.  There always will be SOMEONE out there that will copy eventually. They say that imitation is a form of flattery… but in our case it is a threat to our livelihood. That is why we have been so careful in our planning.

There is no mouse in this lesson… other than the one I’m using!  Just lots of TM’s , LLC’s and blood, sweat and tears!  

No comments:

Post a Comment