Welcome to the beginning of Moon Talk Designs, LLC!

I was asked to share the trials and tribulations of starting a business from the beginning! On a shoe string budget! And on a wing and a prayer! These are my thoughts, right or wrong, as we grow. We hope you will continue to watch us and our growth. And we hope IF you are starting your own business, you will avoid some of the mistakes we make! If you avoid even one simple wrong turn, this was worth my time and effort putting this together!
Enjoy the ride....
.......to the moon!!

8/4/11

AHHH… Time for the real thing! The CATALOG!


Talk about time consuming! I don’t have a major in graphic arts, I don’t have a program on my computer that can handle a large volume of photos and text and do all the work for me. IF I’m going to do it, it’s going to be ALL ME… it’s going to be work!  As far as things with Moon Talk go (to this point) I’ve done the actual work myself. I like it that way! The logo design, the photos, the tag line, the product research… etc…. I am a very independent person. If you know me… you will agree! I DID NOT say stubborn! I said INDEPENDENT!  There is a difference! ;-) 

My computer was bogging down and giving me ‘issues’ as I was working on my poor attempt of a catalog.  I was rather proud of my ‘poor attempt’ but I was getting no where with it and my laptop was threatening to crash! NOOOO!!!!!

 
In my circle of friends… I am vey happy to have a computer guru! Jim has saved my …neck… more than once!  I owe Jim a LOT!  I know I can call him and he will be there for me!  And once again! He was! I took the trusty ole' Mac into him and he took one look at it and told me I really have to get the catalog off my computer!  BEFORE it was too late! He had no idea how she hadn’t crashed yet! The file size was way beyond capacity of the program I had chosen to use. The only program I knew and had on my computer, Word, was not built for such a complex task.  So I went home, defeated. The one job I had insisted on doing myself was one I could not. I went home, started removing the files and cried! What was I going to do now? I COULD NOT afford to pay someone to create a catalog for me. I Emailed Jim and asked his opinion. I told him, once again, he was right, and I was going to have to hand the job over to someone and I did not know who. He wrote me back…. I never really did know what Christy… his ever so patient wife, really did for a living… she put together catalogs and newsletters for business’ !  So, needless to say...  we talked…. I knew Christy quite well, we just never talked about her work, she worked at home and was always so patient when I came over for Jim to help me out of a jam…. Christy was going to handle it for me!!
I got everything I had together for Christy to decipher and figure if it was useable… she took it from there and put together my catalog, EXACTLY as I had it planned! We made several changes as we went along! I was in TOTAL control, anything I wanted moved or worded differently… she did without a complaint!  And when it was done…. Jim had a good friend, that I had already met, that could do the printing!  I didn’t get off easy on the printing money wise! But it’s a very professional looking catalog! We printed one WITHOUT pricing and I had 2 separate order forms made one for wholesale and one for retail prices…  When prices change, all we have to do is make  new order forms! When we add product all we have to do is print an insert sheet!  We ‘only’ had 100 catalogs printed… so we are not locked into a boatload of them if the whole product line would change!  Christy only charged me a 1/10th  of  what she would have charged a regular client! (I WOULD NOT LET HER DO IT FOR FREE!)  I still have to pay her but she said even $10 at a time is fine for her!  ( I LOVE YOU AND JIM BOTH SOOO MUCH !!)

Those afore mentioned catalog shots look amazing! ( thank you Jim for balancing the colors for me!!)  I already have the new catalog photos in my head!  UNFORTUNATELY.. I STILL do not have the program to redo the catalog… Christy has to do that for me as well… but I KNOW where she is, I know she will do it to my liking and I KNOW I WILL LOVE IT! 

I AM SO BLESSED to have such good friends in all areas of our lives! 

No comments:

Post a Comment