Welcome to the beginning of Moon Talk Designs, LLC!

I was asked to share the trials and tribulations of starting a business from the beginning! On a shoe string budget! And on a wing and a prayer! These are my thoughts, right or wrong, as we grow. We hope you will continue to watch us and our growth. And we hope IF you are starting your own business, you will avoid some of the mistakes we make! If you avoid even one simple wrong turn, this was worth my time and effort putting this together!
Enjoy the ride....
.......to the moon!!

8/14/11

The Real deal… New York!


 You’ve read the facts… now for the rest!

Once we decided that the NSS was really going to ‘happen’ we were already deep in preparing for the show, as mentioned before.  SO much happened during this time! We were very emotionally involved with our daughter and an adoption that fell through, our printer that HAD been doing our work was pregnant and decided not to do any more printing for the duration, Bob’s car broke down, I had kidney stones (first ever!), My friend that was going to go with me decided she couldn’t manage it…. and everyone else was busy.  Money was a HUGE stressor!  Sleepless nights continued!


That is when panic struck!  I seriously woke up one night in a panic….  Patti at the NSS office can tell you! I emailed her then talked to her about if it was too late to back out!  Of course it was! They already had my money… no refunds…  She assured me that things would work out!  I was able to sort through the samples that I had planned on taking and it ended up I only needed a couple of items still printed, so my back-up print guy became my # 1 print guy! (And still is!)  The stones passed and an MRI showed there were no more…. (Sigh of relief!) At the last minute another friend offered her van for me to drive so I didn’t have to ship everything or rent a car… then she offered to change her schedule so she could go with me!  (Not only to help, but she is IN LOVE with New York!)  Things were starting to fall in place; the stumbling stones were mere ‘stepping stones’. 
I ATE DRANK & SLEPT making plans for New York!  (Well, I didn’t sleep… but I tried!) Most people lose weight when they are stressed. I GAIN! I ate nonstop! 

I cried my tears and did my best to support our daughter having lost the twin grandbabies we had planned on….  I had to let it go. It still is a pain in my heart, but it was in Gods hands, not mine.   We are still waiting for the phone to ring….

None of the reality of NY hit me until I was actually IN the Javits Center in NY!  All that planning, preparing… dreaming, was finally coming to fruition!  I was in NYC with Moon Talk!  Lucky for us the drive was non eventful. When we walked in and found out where our booths were, the nosebleed section! The cheap seats! WAY BACK IN THE CORNER… we had to weave in and out of everyone else’s boxes and crates to get our supplies to our ‘home’ for the next 6 days!  (I failed to mention TRYING to drive in NY to get to the convention center! YIKES!! I won’t do that again!)   Our hotel was just 3 blocks away so we just walked everywhere we went!  No wonder New Yorkers are all skinny!   Lucky for ME, it rained the entire time we were there, that way I didn’t feel like I was missing out on any of the touristy things! My friend that went though. was SO DISAPOINTED!  Her plans included getting in as much sight seeing as she could!  The one thing I DID want to do, get a picture of the statue of Liberty for my 4-year-old grandson… didn’t happen it was too dreary, foggy and rainy!  I mailed him a post card and he was happy with that!

After 6 days of standing on our feet… greeting buyers and press... I was still running on adrenalin!   BUT after it was over! I WAS SO ready to get home and relax!  When I finally did get home, I collapsed! Slept for three days!  Didn’t eat for three days!  I was wiped out! It took forever to catch up! Not only from the trip but everything leading up to the trip!  I still had to follow up on all the contacts that we made at the show.   Then the best contact I made called with her order!  This is what I went to NY for! Amani’s store, Cappy’s, is in Elmira, NY and she was super stoked to carry Moon Talk!  Product has only been in her store for a couple of months and she has already placed her second order! GO AMANI!! 

I’m still following up with the other contacts, trying not to be a pest, but not letting them forget who Moon Talk is! 

New York under our belt… There is no stopping us!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment