Welcome to the beginning of Moon Talk Designs, LLC!

I was asked to share the trials and tribulations of starting a business from the beginning! On a shoe string budget! And on a wing and a prayer! These are my thoughts, right or wrong, as we grow. We hope you will continue to watch us and our growth. And we hope IF you are starting your own business, you will avoid some of the mistakes we make! If you avoid even one simple wrong turn, this was worth my time and effort putting this together!
Enjoy the ride....
.......to the moon!!

8/16/11

Now for the hard work!


            NY opened my eyes! I found out I still had a lot of work to do to get Moon Talk out there!  Marketing, pricing, ordering, storage, record keeping ALL OF IT!  SO back to the drawing board with my business plans!  As mentioned before, I know I do not have the mark up I need to have, so in order to make this work for me,  I’ve got to lower my costs!  This is one of my first steps, purchasing the equipment to create all work in-house!  In order to do that, I need to reorganize the studio, rid of anything out there that is blocking my vision and cluttering my mind.  SO I set about advertising all my studio equipment.  I sold my overhead lighting, back drops, back drop hanging system, everything!  NO CAMERAS were harmed during this stage!!    I kept all my cameras! That is one thing I will NOT part with! It would be like cutting off my own arm! 

 

The studio is totally cleared out of everything. Patching of holes and painting walls are in the process of being done right now!  It will be nice to have space that is dedicated just to Moon Talk!  We are in the process of pricing the plotter, heat press and sublimation printer that we need right now.  This is money we have to spend in order to cut costs and get that bottom line looking a little better!

            In the meantime, marketing must go on!

            Having made several contacts in Broad Ripple (a trendy shopping area) we have at least three stores that are seriously interested! One has already placed their sample order and it is in the process of being printed as I type! FOLLOW up is the key here!  There is also an herbal and natural supplement store in the tiny town of Pendleton, IN that is in the process of relocating and is going to set aside a special corner just for Moon Talk! She and I clicked the minute I walked in the door!   Riverview Hospital’s Women’s Boutique is going to start with the jewelry!  I’m in contact with the buyers for several other hospital boutiques as well!  This is the market I really want to get into! The message MT carries is perfect for this type of setting! SO I’m keeping my fingers crossed and the doors open!  

            Now for the fun part of marketing! I’ve got a trip planned for the other place I REALLY want to be able to add to my list of markets for MT… PORTLAND, OREGON!  Our daughter and grandson live there and I LOVE the area! This would be a wonderful boost to MT!  I’m am packing right now to leave this weekend!  WISH us luck for this exciting step!  I hope to come home with a couple of stores located in the Pacific NW~~ !! 

A charity fashion and art show is also in the works for October, Breast Cancer awareness month…  It’s been a busy summer! And it’s looking like it’s going to be a busy fall!  Keep Moon Talk in your thoughts and help us spread the word ! UP, UP and AWAY!!  

            

3 comments:

  1. Sounds exciting! I remember all the work it takes to sell wholesale. Good job and best of luck Bobbie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Leah! Wish you were here to help me through this next part!! :-) B~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am awarding you the 7x7 Blogger Award. You can see the details here: http://writewhatuknow.wordpress.com/2012/01/25/the-7x7-award/

    Your art is beautiful and the world needs to see it! I hope this brings more visitors to your blog so your business can grow.

    ReplyDelete