Welcome to the beginning of Moon Talk Designs, LLC!

I was asked to share the trials and tribulations of starting a business from the beginning! On a shoe string budget! And on a wing and a prayer! These are my thoughts, right or wrong, as we grow. We hope you will continue to watch us and our growth. And we hope IF you are starting your own business, you will avoid some of the mistakes we make! If you avoid even one simple wrong turn, this was worth my time and effort putting this together!
Enjoy the ride....
.......to the moon!!

8/11/11

NEW YORK…. NEW YORK…. !!


 Just the facts!

The National Stationary Show in New York, was the first show that was highly recommended  to Moon Talk …. I wasn’t sure if we were ready or not, BUT WE started planning!

First came contacting the NSS to find out more about the show, what was expected, booth size, dates and most importantly COST! YIKES! Was I ready for that? Patti was a great help with all my worries! 

I had to make a go of it! It took a LOT of planning and sleepless nights!  Not to mention all the $$ we had.... not only for entry and travel but also for product to show!  But through perseverance it all came together!...


 

After getting the catalog together along with the pricing, we had to get a 'press kit' together.  I HAD NO IDEA what a press kit was or consisted of!!! This was a shot in the dark! I had NO idea where to start with this step! Luckily the NSS had a forum on Linked In for ‘newbie’s’ to ask questions and talk to ‘seasoned’ exhibitors to get the scoop on what and how!

My press kit consisted of:
A line sheet ( mini catalog) with the best sellers highlighted
An intro letter describing Moon Talk
A couple of sample products
An invitation to visit my booth at the show
Any press releases or articles where Moon Talk was in the paper for any reason.

Each of the above items had to be written, designed and created… I had nothing solid to go by, just my gut feelings…

Then, hoping to attract attention to my kit over the 1000’s of others there,  I got creative and included stapled on the front… a baggie with a band aide, a sani-hand wipe and a mint! 

These kits were then sorted and placed in a pocket folder to be delivered to the pressroom at the Javits Center in NYC. With hopes that they would attract the attention of the many magazine editors and writer that were at the show, including Martha Stuart, Gifts etc, Womens Magazine, Womens day... and SO MANY MORE! 

After the press kit, came the ‘sales presentation kit’ for retail prospects.  This kit was a little more self-explanatory consisting of:

A line sheet/ best selling list
Price list
List of retailers currently carrying MTD
Goals and types of markets I would like to see MTD in.
Press releases.
Sample product
Business card and post card for easy contact.

Each of these items had to be written and designed as well… I had NO idea where to start on any of these!!

This sounds simple enough, but we had to start from scratch on EACH of these items!  Starting over several times to find just the right format, wording…. Pictures… ect! The planning stage was a LOT of hard work, headaches and so much time involved!  Not to mention the sleepless nights spend running things through my head !

Now came the HARD PART!  The display itself!  This had to be the hardest part yet!

What to use, whether or not to ‘rent’ display pieces,  budget? Flooring, lighting…. My head was spinning!

We went to every store we could think of to get ideas, looked on-line, and at past show booth samples, catalogs, etc. The one idea that I did come up with, was nice but as I put the display together it was just not sturdy! It had to withstand standing for 7 days with people bumping and taking item off without falling over or crumbling and this would NOT do that! SO back to the drawing board!
We went on line and looked up metal shelving units… we found one we liked that was over $1,000 and NO WAY were we going to do that!  I COULD rent a display and have it all set up for me… but then again we’re talking mega bucks! Then out of the blue…  one popped up that was $129 ! That.. I could handle!  We looked it over on-line, checked all the measurements… booth was only 10X8 !  so we had size requirements…  Then we ordered it!  Set up was simple! I did it myself in less than 45 minutes the first time! Not bad! 
We ordered a banner for the back wall. Nest time the file size will be larger for a banner that size!  I was disappointed with the quality, but too late now! We purchased indoor/outdoor carpet at Menards. Found what I could around the house to use for display. I found super nice, velvet hangers on line…  it’s ALL IN THE PRESENTATION! 

I culled the products to be displayed about a dozen times! I STILL had too much product when we set up at the show! 

Driving or Flying?  If we flew we had to pack and ship all our display and products! OUCH!
That was going to cost a pretty penny, so we thought more and more about driving. On the forum, I made friends with Jill,  in Ohio that was in the same pinch I was. SO we talked and planned on sharing expenses and driving! My dear friend that was going to go with me offered the use of her mini van… PERFECT!  She shared the driving time as well and we split the room costs between Jill and I and the room and board was Kerri’s ‘thank you’ for helping me!

It was a GO!! I was going to New York with the NSS! And introducing Moon Talk Designs to the world!  WOO HOO!!!

SO MUCH more to follow!! This was TOO big to put in just one post!   Including the ‘anxiety attack!”  and the RAIN.... RAIN.... RAIN.... Hope you'll come back to read the rest!  I still find it hard to believe that after all the planning and stress that it is all over!  IT will be my last trade show for a while! It tapped me out emotionally, physically as well as financially!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment