Welcome to the beginning of Moon Talk Designs, LLC!

I was asked to share the trials and tribulations of starting a business from the beginning! On a shoe string budget! And on a wing and a prayer! These are my thoughts, right or wrong, as we grow. We hope you will continue to watch us and our growth. And we hope IF you are starting your own business, you will avoid some of the mistakes we make! If you avoid even one simple wrong turn, this was worth my time and effort putting this together!
Enjoy the ride....
.......to the moon!!

2/16/12

SERIOUSLY?

I feel like 'Dave' ! You know the Staples commercial??  Wearing the many hats of Moon Talk !  I was wide awake at 1:00AM thinking about everything I have to get done this month. I finally fell back asleep...exhausted!  I need a team, however, I am the type of person that needs to be 'in control' of all aspects of my 'baby' (Moon Talk)   I DID finally give up some control and hired an on-line company to put my website together..
That was out of desperation! They aren't doing anything I couldn't do. I just don't have to sit for hours upon hours putting it together and making changes etc! ( I've already spent countless hours trying to do it and never got what I was looking for... so now I wait for an email sending me to the test page and send her suggestions when I need a change made, or a complement on what she did!)  I am anxious to see the finished product!

Yesterday, I stopped at a jewelry store and asked for a quick lesson in jewelry making 101!  HE was really helpful and I could NOT believe how INTRIGUED he was by my designs! I totally impressed him!  WOW!

Let's see, there are sales taxes to be paid, income taxes to be done and filed... I don't even want to think about all of this yet!

Now, in the meantime, I am working on marketing. Writing marketing letters and sending with samples to prospective stores in other states or areas I cannot drive to.  Hitting the road and going to local stores (we are quite rural so this takes a full day to go to the areas that have stores I would like to have Moon Talk in). Keeping bills paid for the household and the studio.... trying to cut expenses so I can keep paying them, yet trying to keep enough product in stock to hang in the art gallery Moon Talk is in.

Entering contests and shows is a new thing for Moon Talk. And I have three coming up! One is a one day show, overlapping with a 3 week show, overlapping with a statewide contest for Women in Art. So I have to have  a separate  product for EACH show! And still keep my Art Gallery up to date, where Moon Talk is featured int he window display.

 
WHEW,  no wonder I can't sleep....

Along with the  afore  mentioned taxes, is inventory! YUCK! Need I say more?  I've yet to file and pay my state sales taxes... (insert ...deep breath) And get our personal tax information together. At least we'll be getting a refund this year!

  • I need photos of the new products, but the weather is yucky..
  •  I just got my camera back from the repair shop....  I missed it! 
  •  I want to try a really cool photo to use on my website and in other areas, but I've got to do  some experimenting to see if I can do it...
  • I need to learn the new printing  equipment, I have one piece mastered, but the other intimidates me!
  • I need to install Photoshop on my studio computer in order to use that intimidating equipment, not a biggie except that it costs about $200 for the program!

NO wonder I've been keeping myself side tracked with busy work... I've TOTALLY de-cluttered the house!  BUT,  I consider it pre-planning for busy time, my house is SOO much easier to keep clean now!

This isn't even touching on all the things that need to be done this month! and today is the 16th of a 28 day month! OOPS!! 29 days this year!! WOOHOO!! One extra day!  

I am sure you are as tired as I am by now!  IF NOT... come on over, I have a job for you! 

Well... Got the blogging done.. Time to put on a new hat! Enjoy your day!


"Dave" 




1 comment:

  1. OK...so I had some troubles getting this published, If you got several updates... I'm sorry! Welcome to my world! :-)

    ReplyDelete