Welcome to the beginning of Moon Talk Designs, LLC!

I was asked to share the trials and tribulations of starting a business from the beginning! On a shoe string budget! And on a wing and a prayer! These are my thoughts, right or wrong, as we grow. We hope you will continue to watch us and our growth. And we hope IF you are starting your own business, you will avoid some of the mistakes we make! If you avoid even one simple wrong turn, this was worth my time and effort putting this together!
Enjoy the ride....
.......to the moon!!

11/28/11

Charity Pink


In going through the selections of clothing for Moon Talk, I ran across a color selection by Anvil that was ‘Charity Pink’.  In reading about their line, I found that Anvil donates a portion of the sales of ALL their Charity Pink clothing to Cancer Research.  That motivated ME to think along the same line… Why couldn’t I do that and make a difference too?  I know Moon Talk is a small company but if everyone thought that way, no one would ever donate to any charity.  RIGHT? SO WHY NOT?



In choosing the clothing, I selected all the products that Anvil had in the Charity Pink line.  The word HOPE seemed to be quite fitting for the line. In addition to the clothing, I designed a lovely pendant in Charity Pink myself!  We had ladies, children’s’, infants and men’s’ tees, a tote bag, a bandana and the pendant.  I’ve been looking for a nice well fitting cotton cap for those going through Chemo and hair loss.  This year, we’ve expanded the ‘Charity Pink’ words and messages in the line. Among those choices are “one day….” ;  “Journey”; “Courage”;  “Body & Soul”;  and by suggestion of a dear friend that has survived cancer… “NO Expiration Date” …

I was torn trying to figure out what charity to work with….  SO… I created MY OWN! 
I decided to start a scholarship for someone that has survived cancer…  a young person that has fought the fight of their life!  To help this person with the decision to make a difference in life, to make their life matter! 

This scholarship recipient will be determined by a board of directors.  An essay will accompany their application sharing their experience and their dreams.  

TO kick off this scholarship, I had to do something BIG!  AHHH!!! A FASHION SHOW showing off the whole new line of Charity Pink products!  And just that quick, the plans were in the works!  Design work, clothing ordered… MODELS?  In doing a favor for a friend, I met a wonderful young lady that was the leader of a Girl Scout troop… She offered the girls as models so they could earn their charity badge. This was a win-win solution! The girls were 6-8th grade, so there would be a variety of sizes! Several of their mom’s brothers and sisters offered to step in and help too!  Moon Talk was going to be in a local art gallery in the near future, so why not take advantage of this quaint little gallery? And the stage was set!  Emcee, entertainment and food was all needed, so on the bandwagon I got!  Bugging everyone until I finally got enough volunteers (and some at the very last second!) to help out!  I even got a local well known comedian to work it into his schedule!  A Pediatric Oncologist also stepped in to speak!  Everything finally started falling in place… This was going to happen! 

AND HAPPEN IT DID!! In spite of my lack of experience and financial backing… I pulled it off! The night was a blast!   The girls and their families all had fun… we sold some product  and got some donations for the scholarship fund… Thank you notes to be written now  and with that behind me… I feel I can do anything!!

I may be in the hole even more now that I was before… but people that hadn’t heard of Moon Talk have now!   One of the orders is going to England! Another is going to Germany….  Moon Talk is going GLOBAL! 

TO THE MOON ALICE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment